- Domain Name related Rules
- Common Domain Name Rules (Anchor: common)
- Domain Name Registration (Anchor: reg)
- Domain Name Renewal (Anchor: ren)
- Domain Name Transfer (Anchor: trf)
- Contact Details related Rules (Anchor: contact)
- Name Servers and Child Name Servers related Rules (Anchor: ns)
Domain Name related Rules
Common Domain Name Rules (Anchor: common)
- Whois.com provides Registration services under the following extensions:
- .COM.CN (for industrial, commercial, financial enterprises)
- .NET.CN (for networks)
- .ORG.CN (for non-profit organizations)
- For Resellers: Bulk Lock / Unlock and Bulk Suspend / Unsuspend features are not supported for .CN domain names.
Move (push) feature is supported for .CN domain names.
- If for any reason you need to Delete your .CN domain name, contact our Support Team at https://shop.whois.com/support/contact-us.php.
- Upon deletion, the .CN domain name enters Redemption Grace Period for 15 days. Moreover, there is no Pending Delete period. The domain name will be straightaway released for fresh registration post the Redemption Grace Period.
Domain Name Registration (Anchor: reg)
- A .CN domain name can be Registered for 1 to 10 years.
- .CN domain names can only contain alphabets a to z, numbers 1 to 9 and hyphens. However, domain names cannot have two hyphens in the third place.The minimum length permitted is 3 characters while the maximum length is 63 characters (excluding the .CN extension).
- There is no country specific requirement for registering a .CN domain name. However, the following supporting documents need to be provided to complete the Registration process:
- For Individuals
- Registrant ID for Registrants belonging to China: ID Card / Residence Booklet / Driving License / Passport
- Registrant ID for Foreign/Overseas Registrants (not belonging to China): Passport
- For Organizations
- Registrant ID: National ID Card / Residence Booklet / Driving License / Passport
- Business Certificate: Organization Code Certificate / Enterprise Business Certificate / Certificate of Public Institution or Organization with Legal Person statusIf the Registrant plans on hosting the domain name in China, he/she needs to ensure that he/she has a valid MIIT ICP Number. All documents need to be emailed in jpeg format to email@example.com within 14 days from the time of placing a .CN Registration Order. NOTEFailure to submit valid documents could lead to suspension of the .CN domain name.
- For Individuals
- A .CN domain name has a 4 day Money Back Grace Period.
- The Bulk Registration feature is not available for .CN domain names. Additional InformationBulk Registration
- .CN domain names do not support Internationalized Domain Names (IDN).
- Upon Registering a .CN domain name, you may not Transfer-Away from Whois.com, until 60 days.
Domain Name Renewal (Anchor: ren)
- A .CN domain name may be Renewed for 1 to 10 years.
- Upon Expiry of a .CN domain name:
- any service such as email, website, etc., configured for this domain name would stop functioning, until the domain name is Renewed.
- if the .CN domain name is not Renewed until 40 days, the domain name would get Deleted and would slip into Redemption Grace Period.
Domain Name Transfer (Anchor: trf)
- Transferring a .CN domain name to Whois.com includes a 1 year Renewal.
- Inter-Registrar Transfer of a. CN domain name is not possible, if there are less than 15 days to its Expiry.
- The length of the Domain (Transfer) Secret Key/Authorization Code of a .CN domain name can be from 1 to 16 characters.
- The Bulk Transfer feature is not available for .CN domain names.
Contact Details related Rules (Anchor: contact)
- General Contacts used for other domain name extensions (TLDs) can not be used for a .CN domain name. Only .CN Contacts can be associated with a .CN domain name.
- .CN domain names use the following 4 Contacts:
- Chinese character usage is supported in the following fields in .CN Contacts:
- Company Name
- While providing Contact details for .CN domain names, you would be asked to specify an organization ID. This can be any ID related to the documents being submitted.
- .CN domain names do not support Whois.com‘s Privacy Protection feature.
The Bulk Modify and Bulk Privacy Protection features are not available for .CN domain names.
Name Servers and Child Name Servers related Rules (Anchor: ns)
- A .CN domain name can have maximum 6 Name Servers.
- There is no limitation on the number of Child Name Servers you may create.
- You may use IPV6 Addresses for Child Name Servers under .CN domain names.
- An IP Address can be associated with only one Child Name Server. However, each Child Name Server can have multiple such IP Addresses associated with it.
- If a particular IP Address is already associated with any other .CN domain name’s Child Name Server registered through any Registrar, then it can not be used with any other Child Name Server under any other .CN domain name.Examples:
- You may Register a Child Name Server with the Host Name ns1 for yourdomainname.com.cn and associate 220.127.116.11 with it. This Child Name Server would be created only if the IP Address 18.104.22.168 is not already associated with any other .CN domain name’s Child Name Server registered through any Registrar.
- In this manner, you may add unlimited Child Name Servers under this domain name but none of these can now be registered with 22.214.171.124 (since it is already used).
- You may again Register a Child Name Server with the same Host Name ns1 for yourdomainname.com.cn and associate another IP Address 126.96.36.199 with it. This Child Name Server would be created only if the IP Address 188.8.131.52 is not already associated with any other .CN domain name’s Child Name Server registered through any Registrar.